Revenge of the Penguins
10-Miler and 20-Miler
C&O Canal Towpath
Sunday, September 18, 2016 @ 8:00 AM
Why is the race called, "Revenge of the Penguins?"
- C&O Canal Towpath, Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock MD between Mile post 10 and Mile post 11 and finishes at the same place.
- On the historic C&O Canal Towpath from Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock MD between Mile post 2.0 & Mile post 12.0.
- Flat, shady, tree-lined, with scenic riverside vistas - the course you always dreamed about!
- A low-key, low-stress practice race for anyone training for a marathon, half marathon, or for anyone that just wants the challenge. We provide course support and electronic timing.
- A nicely embroidered jacket will be provided to the first 250 registrants or any runner who registers by Aug 14th.
- Saturday, September 17, 2:00 PM -5:00 PM, Location: Pacers Running Store, 3100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, VA 22201, 703-248-6883. The store is located directly across the Clarendon Metro Station. Metered parking is also available on street near the store.
- Sunday, September 18, 6:00 AM -7:45 AM, on site at C&O Canal Tow Path, Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock, MD.
- You may pick up your bib number and jacket on Saturday or Sunday, but you will only be able to pick your IPICO timing tag up on Sunday, so please allow time before the race.
Directions to Start/Finish
- C&O Canal Tow Path, Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock, MD can be found at the following links: Text Version or Google Maps
- Limited parking is available in the parking area.
- On the historic C&O Canal Tow path, Carderock Recreation Area, Clara Barton Parkway, Carderock, MD starts near Mile 10.5 and West to Mile post 12.0 and East to Mile post 2.0 for 20 mile and Mile post 7.0 for 10 Mile runs and turn West to the same place where the race was started.
- 10 Mile Course Map and 20 Mile Course Map
- 10 Mile Course MAP (jpeg)
- 20 Mile Course MAP (jpeg)
- Five aid stations along the course.
- 10 Mile runners pass aid stations Five times.
- 20 Miler pass aid stations ten times (approximately every two miles).
- Each aid station has water and Gatorade.
- First aid, course marshals, and bike support on the course as well.
- If you require medical assistance, or if you cannot finish the race, please contact the closest aid station or course marshal.
- Per USATF rules, scoring is based on clock time, not net time.
- This unique out-and-back course runs through one of the area's first environmentally-protected zones, dating back to the 1830's.
- Watch for deer and other wildlife at dawn.
- The C&O Canal for its entire 183-mile length is a swath of green amidst urban development.
- The race course is a narrow (12-foot) wide unpaved trail, entirely flat, and runs past 150-year-old locks and gatehouses.
- We offer water and aid stations at the locks roughly every two miles.
- We share the course with other users and bicyclists, so stay to the right.
- Assisted by Marathon Charity Cooperation's partner charities and affiliated running clubs.
- Updated Headphone Policy
- Updated Stroller Policy
- After the race, enjoy our post-race food and entertainment.
Carpool and Get Premium Reserved Parking Space
- Since parking at Carderock Recreation Area is limited, MCC is providing a priority service for runners who carpool to the race.
- Any registered runner who arrives at the race in a car with at least two other registered runners will receive a reserved parking space.
- To be eligible, you must be a registered runner for the race AND you must send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on Friday, September 9th. Please include the name of all the runners who will be in your car.
- Just arrive at the race before 7:00 AM to claim your reserved parking space.